Human & Environment Links Progressive Organization (HELP-O) started on 1992 in southern province of Sri Lanka. From the started day the organization at developing and balancing human and environmental progress in rural as well as urban areas, focusing on the low-income community. Chairman of the organization is Mr. Chathura Welivitiya. And we have 09 boards of directors for the organization.
The organization started year is 1992 in Galle and the organization based on Galle District. And organization expected to reach below mention things.
• Approaching society towards development emphasizing of protecting & ensuring Human and children rights through depriving the violence and awareness rising.
• Involve implementing clean and green cities concept and introducing alternative energy sources to grass root level communities.
• Networking the grass root level communities and empower them for face a good future and help to improve the links local authorities as well as other organizations.
• Leading low income people and disaster victims for a sustainable development process with raising awareness, providing training and facilitating potential environment by reintegrating and initiating income generating activities.
• Strengthen the local level Community Base Societies for enabling them to be meeting strong and independent entities within the development process and create an appropriate environment for the exchange of ideas, information and materials between the city stakeholders. Disseminate the information on development issues Support communities to organize small groups, youth federations to ensure maximum community participation Participatory implementation of project irrespective of ethnic diversity to enjoy equal opportunities to live as one Sri Lankan nation.
• Introduce the sustainable and renewable energy source in grass root level and protect the environment with the involvement of Community.
HELP-O implemented many programs with many stakeholders in below mention sector.
• Environment Conservation
• Community Empowerment
• Community Networking
• Human Rights
• Child Rights
• Infrastructure development
• Rehabilitation Programs
• Multi Cultural Programs
• Community Financing Program
Since the organization started date could able to implement many environment programs in Sri Lanka as well as for other countries. The first program we started in Karapitiya Teaching Hospital. The hospital had to face a big problem and they didn’t have a solution for the waste problem. The first program of the HELP-O implemented in Uda Welivitiya. The program was community networking program in two areas and establish the strong community network. Also encourage the people to save money within the Small groups. Through this expect to improve the leadership of the people.
The second program was based in Homadola estate. Under this program able to construct the 25 toilets and established the small groups and most of people were didn’t have a good economic and social status and they didn’t have a proper savings system but through this program they started the savings and improved the skills of them. Not even that their infrastructure facility was increased too.
On the time organization could able to implement a success program in 2004. That is the first biogas program we have implemented since that day we could able to implement many success program with the support of many stakeholders. That is the first biogas unit we have constructed in Hospital in Asia. When we install this we had to face many problems but through a win win approach could able to solve all problems.
HELP-O has a great history and our programs affected in better way to community as well as for the government. Even some polices has been changed because of our programs.